Polar Plunge raises $32,000
by Christina Millington
The 33rd Annual PolarFest kicked off this past weekend with events such as the Bridgenorth-Ennismore-Lakefield (BEL) Rotary Polar Plunge bringing in $32,000 in charitable donations amongst its 109 participants.
The sun managed to stay out long enough for onlookers to stay warm to watch teams of all sorts dressed in their finest costumes jump into the freezing Chemong Lake.
Meanwhile on the other side of the pond sledge hockey took over the Ennismore Recreation Centre as the Peterborough Patriots of all ages slid across the ice strapped securely into their sleds.
Sledge hockey (also known as sled hockey) allows individuals with a physical disability to engage and interact with other players with an opportunity to be a part of a legendary game.
Tom Rutherford, head coach, and his daughter Monica Elliott cheered on this year’s sledge hockey participants as they made way down the ice colliding with one another with hope to be the first to score.
“A few of our participants have only been on the sled a couple of times,” said Rutherford. “We encourage all ages to try the sport.”
Mitchell, a young sledge hockey participant glided his way over to the benches declaring to Coach Rutherford that he was too tired to continue.
However, Mitchell managed to get back out on the ice with his fellow teammates to finish the game.
The weekend event brought out thousands of spectators, snowmobilers and eager participants “Freezin’ for a Reason” giving back to various charities while managing to have a bit of fun.
The money raised by the Polar Plunge will be divided accordingly: 60 per cent going to the participants’ charities of their choice and the remaining 40 per cent to the Rotary Club.
Copyright 2010 Lakefield Herald Ltd.
Return to The Herald Home Page