

The township of North Kawartha has approved Conditions of Draft Approval for a new 59 lot subdivision on Northey’s Bay Road.
These conditions have been sent to the County of Peterborough who will have final approval over the subdivision.
Last month, the township approved an Official Plan amendment to move the designated lands of the subdivision into the hamlet of Woodview.
A complete application for a subdivision was submitted to both the township and county for a new 59 lot subdivision at the old golf course property on Northey’s Bay Road. The subdivision would be made up of 58 residential units in the form of single detached dwellings on private services, and one commercial use lot. The lots will range in size from a minimum of 3,000 square metres (0.75 acres) to 4,783 square metres (1.2 acres) with 30-80 metres of frontage on the proposed internal roads and supported by the results of a hydrogeological investigation.
A public meeting drew a large crowd during the Aug. 11 Selwyn council meeting regarding a zoning by-law change in Bridgenorth to allow for three new tri-plex buildings on the 8th Line.
During the Aug. 11 Selwyn Council meeting, Per Lundberg, planner with the township, presented a report to council outlining the application.
The application was made for 949 8th Line in Bridgenorth and Lundberg recommended that council defer any decision on the application to another meeting so that council may hear the concerns and comments of members of the public.
Comments already received by the township include concerns such as:
• Traffic
• Impact on local wells
• Development traffic impact
• Wildlife impacts
• Planning justification and rationale
• Impacts to the neighborhood character
Amanda Timmermans, Senior Land Use Planner with D.M. Wills gave an update on the project after Lundberg’s report to council.
Timmermans was representing the applicant, Jeff Chesher who owns the land and will be developing the tri-plexes.
In 1929 the “Social”, now referred to as the “Douro Doings” or “The Doings”, all began with Fr. Michael J. McGuire, who was the Parish Priest at the time. About 40 turkeys would be roasted by local ladies, salads prepped, potatoes boiled - imagine the work without electric stoves.
The event was held on the church grounds, where there is now a parking lot. Believe it or not back in the day these grounds were lush grass, and a multitude of beautiful trees. Changes were made over the years especially after the building of the Parish Hall in 1955, the meal for this event was eventually moved to the Parish Hall. Douro, being a farming community, the primary menu was changed over the years. The 6 mile road race was back then from Donwood to Douro. There was a long list of sporting events throughout the day, there was lots of entertainment, singing and dancing.
Back in the day, it was ham-turkey-salad supper served indoors. It was said that they saw the secret in their success that lied in the highly efficient organization behind all the planning and preparing a banquet like this for almost 900 people. All the families played a part; fathers helped in various ways, mothers cooked, and teenagers served the meal. In 1967 the meal was convened by two ladies, they bought 26 turkeys and 50 hams. They cooked them in their family homes.





This short documentary is a portrait of a tiny town, Lakefield, Ontario, and its independent weekly, the Herald. Across North America, newspapers are dying, but in Lakefield, Terry McQuitty, the town paper’s publisher, carries on a rich, 150-year-old tradition. Set to the pace of small-town life, Unheralded is a testament to the vital role newspapers can still play, and the close bond between reporter and reader.
